DIY Instagram Breakfast Tray

I’ve been pretty big into Instagram lately. If you don’t follow me already, you totally should because I take the cutest pictures on the Interent. No. Seriously. LOOK:

Yeah, I KNOW. Anyway, My adorable kids aren’t what this post is about. Instagram rocks and I love using it to share a billion trillion pictures. But I started feeling like once those pictures were shared they were gone. And I hated that. So I got a little crafty and made this:

Want to make one of your own? You totally can. It’s EASY.

The first step was the hardest for me – finding somewhere that could print pictures directly from Instagram (I had many of these still on my phone, but not all of them), and picking out pictures. I used this place. I wasn’t super impressed, but it was the only place I could find. They ship from Hong Kong, and the pictures came registered mail which meant a trip to the post office to sign for them (annoying. Especially when you  have 2 young children. Picture taking a octopus into a china store. Then add embarrassment to the mix when your son asks questions that aren’t really appropriate). Anyway, I ordered 48 pictures ($18 after shipping) and it took what felt like forever for them to get here. The site warns that it will be 3-5 weeks. It felt like far longer. Finally, they were here and while I was impressed with the quality, it wasn’t exactly what I expected…

I ended up having to cut out each of the pictures, which wasn’t a huge deal but was fairly time consuming. Hopefully one of you will find the perfect place to get the pictures printed and will leave a comment telling everyone. Until then, just order and cut.

I got a wooden breakfast tray from Micheal’s. I believe this one was $24.99, but I had a 40% off coupon (You can usually get one online or if you buy any regular priced item one often prints out with your receipt for use the next week). I painted the edges a royal blue, then took my cut out pictures and the tray to Home Depot. I wanted to find tiles that not only fit nicely in the tray, but also were a good size for the picture. It so happened that they had pre-spaced tile sheets for $2.49. I needed just over 1 of these sheets, so I ended up spending $5 on tile, then another $5 on grout. I headed home and used the grout to set the tiles into my tray:

As you can see, I got a little grout on the edges of my tray. I kinda knew that would happen, but I figured it would be easier to repaint over grout rather than painting the entire thing after the tiles were in. Once the grout dries, you can start applying your pictures. I used mod podge from an old project. I applied one layer of mod podge to the tile, laid down the picture and did a thick coat over top the picture.

If you’ve never used Mod Podge before, know that it looks milky when you put it on, but will dry clear. Don’t be shy with the mod podge. You need to get a thick layer so that the pictures stay attached to the tiles. I actually ended up doing 3 layers of mod podge before I was satisfied.

Once all that is dry repaint the edges of your tray to cover the grout (I sanded down any areas that were lumpy). I also had some Krylon Glaze spraypaint left over from another project, so I sprayed on a single coat of that to give the edges a little gloss, and to cover the mod podge. I found out the hard way that mod podge doesn’t do so great with extreme temperatures. Hot or cold, it gets a little tacky, and sticks to whatever you’ve placed on it – which I assume we’ll be putting hot coffee, cold OJ, and hot breakfasts on the tray, so I wanted to make sure the mod podge had something a little more temperature friendly over it. While this stuff probably isn’t safe to eat off of, it makes the tray much more friendly for actual use instead of just being a display item.

And that’s it!! Easy as pie, and you’ve created a gorgeous, extremely personal breakfast tray!

This entry was posted in crafty mommy, cutest kid. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to DIY Instagram Breakfast Tray

1. Veronica says:

What an amazing idea. You did a great job and yes the kids are TOO cute. xoxo
    Veronica recently posted..How we potty trained our toddler in less than two weeks

2. Oh my god I love this! Such a great idea, I can’t wait to try it!
    Jenn [ Crippled Girl ] recently posted..Celebrity Tax Fails

3. Marilu says:

I love, love, love this idea! When I was prego with my first born I decided to buy a good photo printer so that I would not have to go to Wal-Mart or CVS to get photos done. Anyway I found it for $129 and with Prime membership I got it mailed to me for free in two days. What I most love about it is that it is wireless and I can print from my ipod/iphone any picture I want if I create them in Instagram or wherever, some apps let you save an edited pic to your camera roll others won’t but if you take a screen pic it will save to your camera roll and you can crop to your needs. After that epson has a FREE app that will go into your camera roll and print any pic you like, you can adjust to different size paper and stuff. I also like to upload my pics to my computer and put them on a SD card, which you can insert to printer and print out multiple pics at a time in various sizes. I always buy their paper and ink, and the pictures I think look better than what I have gotten from Wal-Mart or CVS in the past. I honestly feel I have saved a lot of money this way and I have been able to create Christmas Cards, family gifts, and wonderful “professional” looking memories this way. If it sounds complicated I promise it is not at all, its just experimenting and having fun with pictures and technology.

4. Marilu says:

To my last comment the printer I have is an Epson 725, my little sister who is in high school comes over all the time to print out pics of friends, school events, etc. Its really worth every dollar I spent on it, and I’m sure has paid for itself considering how many pics I have printed.

5. Anne says:

I wanted to cover tiles with fabric and mod podge, for an unused fire place in my daughters bedroom. If I were to grout over the fabric covered tiles, would this ruin the tile or would it wipe away cleanly as it would when tiling normally?

6. measamommy says:

Hi Anne, So sorry for just getting back to you – I somehow completely missed this comment!!! I’m guessing it would be a nasty mess, but I don’t know for certain. The mod podge doesn’t say anywhere on it that it is waterproof, and while I’ve put mugs/cups that have some condensation, or wiped the tray clean they haven’t been subjected to as much water as you’d need to clean off grout. If possible, you’d probably want to set the tiles and then cover with fabric.

7. barb says:

My son asked me to make him a ornament with the house we lived in when he was little. So I went to Michaels and got a few flat ceramic ornaments, I put mod podge on it then I put the picture and then I put mod podge on it. It turned the picture a light pink. do you know what I did wrong. I am so frustrated trying to find out why.